Print the page
Increase font size

Posted September 19, 2022

Ray Blanco

By Ray Blanco

Apple Shells Out for Satellite Connectivity

Right now, we have the beginnings of a trillion-dollar industry on our hands… 

You see, more than half the world’s population can’t get on the internet; over 3.5 billion people are without connectivity. And for those of us who can, it’s often expensive and low-quality. But that’s where satellite internet can save the day. 

This story is something I’ve been following for a while now and, as I wrote about in a recent update, Apple has officially stepped foot into the satellite connectivity ring with the release of its newest iPhone. 

The new iPhone 14 will bring a global SOS feature that can send out an emergency distress signal anywhere on the planet, delivered via satellite. Apple is also putting up $450 million of its own cash to build out the infrastructure necessary for this service to work. 

Most of that money will go to its partner and satellite operator: Globalstar. 

Apple has agreed to put up 95% of the cash needed to get the new satellites off the ground. As for the remaining 5%, Globalstar will be raising some debt to cover it per its agreement with Apple. 

However, and here’s the interesting part, a piece of that agreement states that Apple will get exclusive access to 85% of Globalstar’s current and future network capacity for use with upcoming satellite features.

This makes me think that Apple is looking to use satellite connectivity for more than SOS signals. Whether we’re talking about air travel, dead zones, or parts of the world where internet service providers can’t be found, Apple could be looking to provide connectivity.

Although it will be slow at first, many companies will be racing to develop more advanced satellites and systems to allow for quicker connections and faster speeds.

The ability to provide internet services to anyone around the world is a powerful position to be in... Not to mention one that will make massive amounts of money. 

This could be the first of many major investments from Apple if it wants to solidify its position as a provider of satellite connectivity.

Read below for more on that and everything I have my eye on this week…

tpd-1-apple

Why Apple is Spending $450 Million on Satellites For its New iPhone

One analyst thinks it’s just the start of broader plans to monetize satellite connectivity. Read more…

tpd-2-robot

China’s Factories Accelerate Robotics Push as Workforce Shrinks

Industrial automation climbs as country tries to extend manufacturing dominance despite labor challenges. Read more…

tpd-3-usa-chip

U.S. Bid to Revive Chip Manufacturing Collides With Wall Street’s Demands

Intel is among companies facing both political push for more factories in U.S. and investor resistance to capital spending—conflict Chinese competitors don’t face. Read more…

tpd-4-drone

Uber and Nuro Strike a 10-Year Autonomous Delivery Partnership

The ride-hailing giant might be done with robotaxis, but it’s just starting with autonomous delivery. Read more…

tpd-5-twitter

At Twitter Whistleblower Hearing, A Key Tech Regulator Comes Under Fire

When a Twitter whistleblower testified at an explosive Senate hearing this week, the social media company wasn’t the only one to come under fire. Read more…

Cancer Treatment Crash Course

Cancer Treatment Crash Course

Posted September 30, 2022

By Ray Blanco

Let’s take a look into the state of cancer research and treatment.
Does Cryptocurrency Provide the Path Forward?

Does Cryptocurrency Provide the Path Forward?

Posted September 29, 2022

By Ray Blanco

With how gloomy the outlook is on the current stock market environment, and the global currency market, some are looking toward crypto to become a haven once more.
Tech Giant Looking to Regain Lead

Tech Giant Looking to Regain Lead

Posted September 28, 2022

By Ray Blanco

With Intel's struggles of returning as the premier name in processing units and semiconductor tech, this move should help Intel get its foot back in the door.
Never Bet Against Technology

Never Bet Against Technology

Posted September 27, 2022

By Ray Blanco

Is Moore’s Law dead? Nvidia’s CEO seems to think so, but I’m not so pessimistic.
Smart Cities Create a Need for Smart Solutions

Smart Cities Create a Need for Smart Solutions

Posted September 26, 2022

By Ray Blanco

Are smart cities just a trend for tech enthusiasts or something practical that can improve the lives of millions?
Computer Warfare: Cybersecurity Concerns From the War in Ukraine

Computer Warfare: Cybersecurity Concerns From the War in Ukraine

Posted September 23, 2022

By Ray Blanco

Cybersecurity concerns have steadily grown for years now while hacking attacks increase in frequency.